Monday, November 8, 2010

I Peter 1:15-16

I Peter 1:15-16 But just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy because I am holy."

(From chapter two in The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges)

  • Because God is holy, He is perfectly conformed to His own character.
    • Are my thoughts and actions consistent with God's holy character?  I am called to be holy simply because God Himself is holy.
  • It is impossible for God to ever be unfair in His actions because He is holy.
    • I often believe that lie, as Eve did, that God is being unfair because of __________.  God is always fair; fairness often looks different, though, as God works in people's lives differently
    • Complaining against God is to deny His holiness
    • "Acknowledging His holiness is one of the ways we are to praise God" (page 25)
  • God's holiness doesn't allow for personal character flaws
    • I often use the excuse:  "I'm still growing in that area..."
    • Hebrews 12:14 "Make every effort...to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord."
  • God hates sin
    • The more we love and treasure God, the more we will hate sin
    • Live my life in reverence and fear (I Peter 1:17) of God, hating sin and treasuring Christ more and more.

0 comments: