Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Knowing Christ

The goal and the prize of the Christian faith is to know Jesus and become like Him. 
What is a primary way God uses to allow us to know Jesus better?  Through suffering.
"-that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death," Philippians 3:10
In that verse, Paul knew Christ more because he suffered like Christ.  And Paul didn't view suffering as pain, but as an opportunity for deeper fellowship with Christ.  
"For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake."  Philippians 1:29
Paul shared in Christ's suffering and, as believers, we are called to do the same.  It is an opportunity!  It is a joy.  It is GOOD. 
There have been so many things in the last two weeks that have threatened to steal my joy.  It seems that all the things I once held dear, probably put too much hope & joy in, are slipping away or disappointing me.  Life in the ministry can be so difficult, but I pray that I may find true joy in Christ - as I (alongside Brian) share in his sufferings - and grow in the likeness of Him through these hardships.
Thank you, LORD, that you have chosen little, insignificant me to suffer for Your sake.  What an honor.  May I not waste it!

0 comments: