Friday, November 18, 2011

Scripture & Parenting

You know my love for all things Paul Tripp, particularly Shepherding a Child's Heart.  Well, Ginger Plowman's Don't Make Me Count to Three is another wonderful heart-oriented parenting book.  Ms. Plowman's book gives very specific examples of what to do (or not to do) in common situations that parents find themselves in using the format of examples a and b (hint: example a is always the incorrect way to respond!).  I especially enjoy the way Don't Make Me Count to Three enables you to see why our common ways of responding are unbiblical and, therefore, incorrect.  


Ms. Plowman uses many verses of Scripture in her examples, but not in a way that "bangs the bible over their heads."  She does it gently and with grace, always presenting the gospel to her children and providing them the opportunity to repent and be forgiven.  I love what Paul Tripp's brother, Tedd, says about this book:
"This book is properly aligned.  It makes the focus of discipline the heart and unpacks how to use the Scriptures for both encouragement and reproof.  The tendency in parenting books is to be heavy on ideas and strategies for managing our children and light on the biblical foundations.  Don't Make Me Count to Three weaves together solid biblical truth and practical parenting advice.  This bears reading and rereading."
 
I love this book.  I need to reread it...and reread it (like Shepherding a Child's Heart which I've read 5x).  But one thing I've set out to do, being encouraged by Ms. Plowman, is memorize all the verses she referenced in her book.  I've counted 22 sets of verses that she uses often in her parenting.  I so desire for God's Word to be on the tip of my tongue that I may use it for both encouragement and reproof in my parenting.

Thus far I've memorized only three sets of verses (Proverbs 6:16-19, James 3:17, and I Corinthians 13:6) and this weekend I'm working on James 1:19-20 and Ephesians 4:22-24.  The Lord has blessed my memorizing (and I pray He continues to do so!) - the Words have been both convicting to my soul and inspiring.  May they have the same effect on my sweet (but sinful and in need of God's grace) son.

Let me know if you decide to read this book and/or memorize these verses; I could use an accountability partner to keep me on track!  ;)

Side note: I just ordered Wise Words for Moms which is Ms. Plowman's pamphlet ($4 on Amazon).  It's an awesome chart (that I hope to put on my fridge for quick reference) that lists the child's behavior (such as complaining, stirring up strife, blaming, bad friendships, conceit, etc.), heart probing questions you can ask, the reproof or "putting off of the old self", the encouragement or "putting on the new self", and additional verses to use for each listed behavior.  This is a great way to spend $4 - even better than a Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks (which are closer to $5 now - I can't believe I've spent $5 on a cup of coffee!).

[P.S. Ms. Plowman does quote Mr. Tripp a lot in her book - and for that reason, I'd recommend reading Shepherding a Child's Heart first.]

5 comments:

JC said...

Hey, I just got this book. I can't wait to read it. I'll let you know when I start so we can either read it together or even just discuss it.

JC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian Cochran said...

You wrote: "You know my love for all things Paul Tripp, particularly Shepherding a Child's Heart."

As much as I love Paul Tripp these days, it was Tedd Tripp who wrote "Shepherding a Child's Heart." You gotta keep your Tripps straight :).

Sam said...

Oops - thanks for correcting me, Brian! I just love them both.... ;)

Sara said...

Hey, I was just reading your blog and got both books for my Kindle. Thanks for the recommendations!