Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Focus: Christ

Disappointment.
It happens all the time - friends behave in a way that is sinful, your child frustrates you, your hopes aren't realized in a way you'd expected, etc.

My sad, disappointed heart was encouraged this morning when I read Celebrate Jesus from Elyse Fitzpatrick's Comforts from the Cross:

"But this day isn't about me at all.  It's about him: his sinless life, death, resurrection, ascension, and reign and the sure promise of his return.  It's the gravity of his life that should attract my thought toward him.
"Plainly stated, let me encourage you to proclaim the gospel to yourself today and every day.  Our poor burdened hearts are in such need of a gospel celebration.  When you fail today, you need the comfort of this proclamation: he died for that very sin.  Tell yourself about his death.  When you feel overwhelmed by your responsibilities, remember that he is ruling sovereignly over every facet of your life, and soon he will return to right every wrong and relieve you of your trouble.  When you wonder if your life will ever change, he wants you to remember that he is coming back and that this life as it is won't last forever."

So today, by God's grace, I'm looking up.  My focus is Christ.  
And - it's been working!  Today is the most joyful I've been since Sunday afternoon; thank you, Jesus, for being at work in my heart.

****
I saw this on FB today:
"Whenever you are angry with your brother for any cause, repress your violent emotions through the Spirit. Bear with his weakness and love him. He does not cease to be your neighbor or brother because he offended you. On the contrary, he now more than ever before requires your loving attention." (Luther on Gal. 5:16)
****
I have the happiest, most content husband.  I am always so jealous because he NEVER lets anything get him down - not arrests, not drunkenness, nothing in our church family gets him down.  What's his secret?  His hope is fully in the LORD and he expects people to disappoint him.  I want to be like that; thankfully, I am able to be through Christ and what He has accomplished for me on the cross.  I just need to DO it!

****
He only is my rock and salvation,
my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
Psalm  62:6

0 comments: