Friday, July 1, 2011

Opportunities for Divine Worship

Recently, Rachel Jankovic published an exceptional article at Desiring God's blog on biblical motherhood.  You can read it here.  One of my seminary wife friends said, "This is the best article I've ever read on motherhood."  I agree - it is very good.  And while I know motherhood is the highest, most important calling as we share the gospel in the mundane, I still struggle to like it all too often.

It's the dishes three times a day.  The hunger that arrives every four hours.  The cleaning up food from the floor, the high chair and the kid three times a day.  The constant mess.  The constant laundry.  It's in those moments that I long to be back in the classroom - with clean, nice clothes, no dish duty, no COOKING!  Some women love it and thrive in the home.  I desire that!  Now, don't get me wrong - I love my son and husband more than life itself and am ever so thankful that I am able to serve them full-time.  It's just I wish I loved cooking, baking, dishes, etc. as much as I loved teaching sixth grade.  I'm striving to gain a new, God-centered perspective on it.

As I shared my struggles with the hubby one beautiful Iowa evening, he led me to a Ligon Duncan sermon that was of great encouragement to me.  Here's an excerpt about a mom who hated to clean up after a meal:
"And above her sink is a little wooden plaque that says, 'Divine worship held here three times daily.'  In other words, she has determined to look at the issue of cleaning pots and pans as an opportunity to worship God.  It’s a spiritual issue.  Her vocation is a spiritual issue."

My vocation, as a mother, is a spiritual issue too.  Cooking and washing dishes & a little boy's face gives me the opportunity for Divine worship too!  That's an honor!  I remind myself (numerous times a day) that I am laboring for King Jesus in service to my favorite hubby and son.  It's my greatest and highest calling.  May Brian be blessed through the meals and conversation.  May Aidan be encouraged in the LORD daily as I preach the Gospel to him and remain faithful in the mundane.

And when I get discouraged at how quickly my hard work is gobbled up (and secretly wish we could just have cold cereal every night) and believe the lie that eating is all about feeling full, I remember what I learned from Carolyn Mahaney once: meals are a time for nourishment, fellowship and strengthening the family bonds.  It's not primarily about the food.  I do pray that as Aidan grows strong physically from food, he grows spiritually in Christ and in love for his family around our little glass table.

0 comments: