Tuesday, February 28, 2012

No Fretting

I've been stressed lately.  Whether it be finances, this new aerobics class I'm teaching, a fussy teething toddler or trying to help God with my future (ssooooo dumb of me), I've been letting anxiety and frustration get the best of me.
I woke early today to spend time with Jesus before my class and pulled out Lydia Brownback's Trust devotional.

I have been totally convicted.  I've been fretting.  And that is SO sinful.  She writes:
Psalm 37 cautions us not to fret because fretting causes only harm.  Fretting is anxious hovering, a sinful wresting of control from God; it's complaining with an impatient spirit.  Fretting adds fuel to the fire of our difficulties, and if we indulge in it, it won't be long before we find ourselves elevating our weak and inadequate reason above God and his word.  Once this happens, life begins to look like a complicated jigsaw puzzle where fitting all the pieces together is all up to us...Real prayer includes letting go of your insistence on a particular answer or timing.  If you have really prayed, you can simply rest and wait for God.  Trust him with you concern...  (page 60).

This was just the reminder I needed today - a reminder to confess my sin and to hold open my hands before the LORD so that I may no longer cling so tightly to my desires or worries, but let them go.  I trust my loving, sovereign heavenly Father with my life - He's never let me down.  His promises are sure.

The steps of a man are established by the LORD,
when he delights in his way;
though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong,
for the LORD upholds his hand.
Psalm 37:23
I'm off to teach my second aerobics class; I'm so nervous.  But I'm trusting...
:)

0 comments: