Saturday, April 28, 2012

Random Saturday Thoughts

Brian had to leave town for 24 hours.  Unfortunately, I was left with a very, very sick puppy.  I was up most of the night with Leo and rushed him to the vet early yesterday morning.  Dr. Jim took excellent care of him, and today Leo is much better.  My husband arrived home last night with this beautiful bouquet of flowers.  What a fun treat!

I truly can't believe how the month of April has unfolded.  All 4 of us now (who would think the dog would get so sick!?) have been sick.  Today Brian went to the doctor; the doc thinks it's just allergies.  I sure hope he gets his energy back because tomorrow is a big day for him at church.  I pray May brings sunshine and good health to the Lund household.

Yesterday I listened to the T4G's Ministry Wives Panel Discussion here.  It was so wonderful to hear these women speak truth into my home and heart - even if it was just through the speakers of my computer.  I often wonder how pastors and pastor's wives survived long ago before telephones, Internet, conferences, etc.  We have much to be thankful for in this era.  The LORD knew I needed to be born in the 21st century - I need epidurals & C-sections to have children, and I need long-distance seminary friends and Reformed resources found online to encourage my heart and keep me going.  Yes, I am a true wuss.  But I'm ok with that.  In fact, Lauren Chandler spoke on the panel a little bit about how she needed biblical counseling when they first moved to pastor their church in TX.  Sometimes reading your bible and praying isn't enough to get you through difficult times.  Having people speak/preach truth "at" you is so beneficial.

Brian recently modified his 5 year plan for our church using many of the concepts in Tim Lane & Paul Tripp's book How People Change.  After sharing his thoughts with me, I knew I had to read it.  Today I read about "The Gospel Gap" that exists in the hearts of so many Christians - even those who are super involved in church, always carrying a bible in hand, at every Pro-Life protest, etc.  It impressed the need upon me to inspect my own heart - have I replaced Christ with "Christian Externalism"?  Tripp writes, "My externalistic Christianity needed to be infused with the present power of the gospel.  It is not enough to embrace Christ's promise of life after death.  We must also embrace his promise of life before death, which is only possible because of Christ's grace at work in our hearts today," (pg 14-15).  This is what the book is about - Christ's work in our lives NOW - today - when it's rainy, cold, and windy for the umpteenth day in a row.  (Can you tell weather gets to my emotions!?)  Tripp and Lane's goal for this book is to bridge the gospel gap - to bridge the gap between what we say we believe the gospel is (our theology) and the world we struggle in every day.
They center the book on 5 gospel perspectives:
1. The extent and gravity of our sin
2. The centrality of the heart
3. The present benefits of Christ
4. God's call to growth and change
5. A lifestyle of repentance and faith

I pray that today my heart is centered on Christ, living in obedience to Him.  It's time to joyfully throw a few loads of laundry in and pick up the house as I preach the gospel to my rebellious heart.  
Happy Saturday!

P.S.
A very happy 5th anniversary to Ryan and sweet Kgal!   They are celebrating at beautiful Coronado Island and Balboa Park today.  Their marriage is a true picture of Christ and His bride, the church.  We love you, Gallies!  Congrats.
(YES, I am a stalker and I totally stole this picture from your FB profile, Kgal.  But besties can do that.)


2 comments:

KillerCalliGally said...

thx friend. btw i loved how people change - our church just completed a sunday school series on that book - AMAZING. ryan taught a couple lessons so i got to hear a couple of the chapters twice. right now we are reading 'meaning of marriage' by tim keller and i am underlying practically every word. we figured we have read anything marriage related and now after 5 yrs we need a refresher :)

i think i may pick up that biography you recommended next, looks interesting.

love ya bestie

KillerCalliGally said...

*havent* read anything marriage-related since our premarital counseling.