Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Suffering Matters

Suffering:  having what you don't want and wanting what you don't have.
I love Joni Eareckson Tada's definition of suffering from her book When God Weeps: Why our Sufferings Matter to the Almighty.

Because April has brought so many challenges and frustrations, I pulled this book from Brian's shelf.  In it I found a Vikings game ticket from 2005 when we went for Grandpa Fretty's birthday - how fun!  Even though I've read it before, it has shed new light on the subject of suffering and encouraged me in new ways.

I very much enjoyed and learned from the first six chapters, but then I skipped ahead to chapter 11: Gaining Contentment.  When talking about the bible's famous Paul, Joni discusses how he gained contentment by doing math:  "...[he] subtracted his desires and, in doing so, increased his joy..." (pg 173).  How do we do this "math"?  We feed the mind and heart on objects that bring contentment rather than arouse desire (pg 174).   So that's what I've been trying to train my mind to do.  I focus on the millions of blessings I've been given, not letting my mind wander to those things or places that I want (or think I need!) and my contentment has increased.

Have you read the Beatitudes lately from Matthew 5?  They support this "math" idea.  We are called to subtraction. 
V. 3: You want to know contentment?  Become poor in spirit.
V. 4: You want to be comforted?  Mourn.
V. 6: You want to be satisfied?  Hunger and thirst for righteousness.
V. 10: You want the kingdom of heaven?  Endure persecution.

No, Jesus doesn't teach a health-wealth-prosperity gospel like some claim.  Prayer of Jabez.  Joel Osteen.  We are called to suffer.   But may we find contentment and joy from knowing we are where we belong and that we have Christ who strengthens us and gives us all the grace we need for each and every moment.  Trust Him!

Every day we experience something of the death of Jesus, so that we may also show the power of the life of Jesus in these bodies of ours.
II Corinthians 4:10

I'm off to make an iced coffee and read the latest edition of Modern Reformation.  I am so so thankful for the ways in which that publication encourages those of us in the trenches of ministry and increases my knowledge of Christ!  If you aren't subscribed, you should be!  Go to the Wscal.edu  to sign up.

0 comments: