Monday, February 11, 2013

Sitting at the Feet of Jesus

People have frequently asked me, "So why aren't you blogging anymore?"  Unfortunately, the real answer is that I have had nothing to give.

Last fall one of our women's Bible studies was by Nancy Leigh DeMoss on the importance of spending time at Jesus' feet in the mornings (Mark 1:35, John 8:2).  It's in these sweet moments with Jesus that we find, "...wisdom for walking carefully.  We obtain guidance for daily decisions.  We find peace in the midst of life's whirlwind.  We are infused with the strength to complete our tasks," (Shopping for Time, pg. 42).  
 
The first third of this pregnancy completely wiped me out, and I didn't spend time with Jesus in the mornings.  I required so much sleep; I would sleep until the shouts of "Mommy!" awakened me each morning, and I'd race to my bed as soon as I put Aidan down for his nap each afternoon.  The nausea kept me from friends and ministering to others.  But thankfully, by God's grace, I am feeling more and more like myself each day.  

And because I have begun again to sit at the feet of Jesus each morning, He fills me with His glorious self so I have something to give again.  I think my passion for Christ is coming back - therefore, I will blog!  I will tell you about all the books I've been reading, the four awesome devotionals I purchased at last week's Pastor's Conference, and about all the the LORD has been teaching me during this long, hard winter in rural Iowa.  

So watch out...cuz I'm back!  :)
 
Let me encourage you to spend time in God's Word and prayer each morning before your day begins.  Sitting at His feet each day is the most important thing you can do for your body, soul and family.  C.S. Lewis wrote in regard to our "Martha" (Luke 10:38-42) tendencies:
It comes the very moment you wake up each morning.  All your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals.  And the first job each morning consists simply in shoving them all back; in listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that other, larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in.
It's pertinent that we first listen to that Other voice each morning, as Mary did; communion with our Savior is of first priority.  From personal experience these last few months, I can verify that there is nothing greater or more life-giving than my sweet mornings with Jesus before my household awakes.

***
A few picture updates:

 Yesterday church was cancelled due to the freezing rain so we enjoyed a very fun family day of tractors, diggers, Candyland, and
 Valentines!
 
I painted a magnetic chalkboard in the kitchen; I just love it!  However, I only got three coats of magnetic paint on before I decided I was probably going to retard this baby inside of me due to all the fumes.  So I'm waiting on my dear hubby to finish it up with chalkboard paint and trim.

Two weeks ago, Brian hosted Zion's First Annual Men's Retreat, Stepping Up!  Fifty men from Garner and nearby towns attended.

One of the new books I'm very excited about is Christine Hoover's The Church Planting Wife.  Although I'm not a church planting wife, it's very helpful for pastor's wives in any sort of ministry.

Lastly (and most exciting), we had our anatomy ultrasound last Friday.  We were giddy with delight when we were told that our baby is very healthy and developing on target.  At 18 weeks, Aidan had cysts on his brain and this baby is cyst free!  We were able to see the two hemispheres of the brain, and all four chambers of the heart - it's simply amazing.  We will reveal the gender soon...

1 comments:

sarah schmidt said...

So glad to hear you are feeling back to yourself, Sam! Praying for continued strength and joy and daily bread for the rest of your pregnancy! You are doing amazing! Love you!