Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Frugal Me?!

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23a

Not even one cell of my bone marrow is frugal.  I'm like a magnet to the most expensive item in any category.  But lately I've become convicted of my need to cultivate self-control in the area of spending.  No, I don't just go on random shopping sprees or have two caramel lattes in a week (I wish!).  But I do have trouble sticking to my grocery budget (which includes toiletries and cleaning supplies).  Sometimes things that aren't on my list just sneak into the cart.  And do I use those extra items?  Yes - usually first!  Especially because they are often the fun, unnecessary items like potato chips or Almond Joy Fun Size Bars.

Ugh, budgets.  Hate them.  However, Julie (see my previous post) linked to the blog: The Frugal Girl and I thought I'd check her out.  No, I probably won't be cutting my hole-y jeans off at the knee and sewing the legs together to make a skirt or dye my faded 8 year old shirt that cost me $10 black again.  BUT I may check out Aldi.  Yes, that's the store we used to drive by each Sunday on the way to church and every Sunday, I'd think to myself as we were sitting at the stoplight next to it, "Gross...who would shop there?"  But my snobby-self is turning not so snobby in order to save money!

The Frugal Girl's site is really neat.  When I get back from vacation (I'll tell you about that in another post), I'm going to try her meal planning.  She gives you the menu, recipes, and shopping list (yes, she shops at Aldi).  Her goal is to spend $400/month.  At first that seems like a lot - and was my monthly goal - but I just can't seem to stick to $400.  So I'm going to try it.  I'll let you know how it goes.  
I'll be that 'green' person who's bringing my own bags to Aldi and paying $.25 for a cart.  That's so not me, but if I can be a good steward of our money, it's worth it.  
Let me know if you try Frugal Girl's menu planning - I'd love to hear how it goes for you!  And pray for me...that I'll be self-controlled!

0 comments: