Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Moms of Boys

A blogger friend recommended
 and, since ordering it from Amazon, I've been reflecting a lot lately on how to raise Aidan - particularly the aspects in which he needs to be parented differently than his little sister.  I am very excited to begin reading this book.  Unfortunately, it was delivered two days ago to the shipping dock at Children's Hospital and hasn't quite gotten to me yet.  So today, while I not-so-patiently waited for my package, I found this podcast at Desiring God: A Mother's Role in Raising Boys.  Piper gives

Six Roles for Mother's of Boys

1. Teach the whole counsel of God 
Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching (Prov. 1:8).
Paul reminds Timothy of the essential role his grandmother and mother played in his faith (I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well (II Timothy 1:5)), and encourages him to continue on in the faith he has learned and firmly believed (3:14)
 
2. Expect obedience 
We must require our sons to recognize our authority over them as instituted by God.
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right (Ephesians 6:1).
And as a side-note: I absolutely LOVE that this is the only commandment that comes with a promise. What is promised to the children who obey?  That is may go well with you and that you may live long in the land (6:3).

3. Model strong womanhood
...imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit...
...submitting to their own husbands...
...do good...
...do not fear anything that is frightening...
(I Peter 3) 
A godly woman is strong and laughs at time to come; her trust in God enables her to laugh in the face of uncertain times (Proverbs 31). 
I am currently reading Mary Kassian's book Girls Gone Wise and it contains 20 points of contrast between a Girl Gone Wild & a Girl Gone Wise.  It is the BEST book - it truly paints a picture of a beautiful, strong, and Godly woman.  I highly recommend it.

4. Honor the leadership and protective instincts of your husband
Our sons should see a strong woman deferring to the Godly leadership of a strong man.  Piper mentioned how his mom was omni-competent when his dad was away - she could do anything.  When his dad came home, Mom beamed with joy that he could now be the one to lead prayer at the table, say that it was time for church, etc. Piper marveled that she could be everything in Dad's absence and loving his leadership when he was home. 

5. Point your son to strong manhood
Show your son what strong manhood looks like using Scripture, media, books, etc.  
Strong men are protective, initiative-taking, courageous, and strong.
I am so so thankful that Aidan just has to look at his daddy to know what a strong man is!

6. Expect strong manhood from your sons 
Give him responsibilities early on.  Insist on politeness toward his mom and sister (for example: hold the door).  Show him how to treat girls in a respectful and attentive way.

Piper ends by saying, "This brings something unique to the sexual wholeness for sons."  Sexual wholeness is essential, especially in light of the growing acceptance of being gay.  I wasn't too proud to be a Minnesotan yesterday when the gay marriage amendment was signed into law.

Hopefully my lost Amazon package comes soon, and I will blog about what I learn in it about nurturing boys.  Today is day #15 of bedrest; I'm HALFWAY!  June 1 is still the "go" date if all continues to go well.  Thanks for your continued prayers!

0 comments: