Monday, May 23, 2011

Heavy Heart

My heart is heavy today.  My friend in elementary school (who, unfortunately, I haven't seen in years) lost her baby girl last night.  Sweet Gracie was a week shy of her first birthday.  Now that I am Mom to Aidan, I just can't imagine losing a child. 

"Has God forgotten to be gracious?
Has he in anger shut up his compassion?
I will remember the deeds of the LORD;
yes, I will remember your wonders of old."
Psalm 77: 9, 11
As tears roll down my cheeks, I have to remind myself that the LORD is always compassionate.  He is always kind.  He is always good to those who love Him.  I am reminded of this as I remember His faithfulness to past generations and trust His future promises.  During these faith-shaking, fear-generating experiences God desires that we draw closer to Him, enabling us to know Him more and dispel our misunderstanding of what it means to be a Christian.  God calls us to deeper faith during trials; He calls us to a faith that trusts Him even in the midst of unimaginable pain. 

It is my prayer that Gracie's family will cling to God in the midst of this crisis, discovering that Jesus is for them, loving them and drawing them near-er to Himself.

Give your kids an extra tight squeeze today and thank the LORD for His graciousness in giving them to you.

0 comments: