Thursday, May 19, 2011

Hospitality

"Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality." 
Romans 12:13 
Hospitality.  It's becoming a lost art.  A friend recently told me that she's lived in a new town for nearly two years and no one has ever invited them over for supper!  Not even people from her church!  I was shocked, but I guess I shouldn't have been.  Why is hospitality becoming such a lost art?

I think people are busier than ever.  We receive our work on our Blackberry or iphone and can never seem to get away from it.  We're running our 2.4 kids to soccer, ballet, swim practice, or Sunday School.  We're fascinated with our TV shows - and can't miss Tuesday night because we might not see who is ousted from Dancing.  We're taking care of elderly parents.  We're working an additional job (or two) to try to make it in this economy.

And, many of us assume that hospitality requires a perfectly set table with a lovely, in-season matching centerpiece, the perfect meal complete with a homemade dessert, a perfectly clean and picked up house, a perfectly manicured yard with weedless flower pots, and perfectly dressed and well-behaved children who would never say anything rude.  I am guilty of this way of thinking.  I don't invite people in if my house isn't almost perfectly picked up with the beds made, dishes in the dishwasher, etc. (How prideful!  but that's a whole other topic!).  But I am learning to let go of that, especially as people from the church randomly stop by to say hi (which I love)!  Showing hospitality isn't about my house.  I have to constantly remind myself of the true purpose of hospitality:

1. to demonstrate kindness, compassion and the goodness of God to friends, strangers and enemies (Luke 8:3)
2. to show love and encouragement to one another (I Thes 4:9-10)
3. to meet the needs of others (Prov 19:17)

So let's say to one another more often, "Hey, want to stop by for supper?"  It's so encouraging (and fun!) to sit down to eat a meal together as our lives spin crazily around us.  I need to let-go of my desire to have everything perfect before inviting people over and realize the blessings that result from showing hospitality to one another - when I realize its true purpose.  Let's not let it become a lost art!

[I picked up this hospitality book at The Pastor's conference last winter.  I'd recommend it for three reasons: it defines purpose of hospitality, discusses the character traits of a person who is hospitable, and gives easy recipes and ideas for various events (meals, teas, etc.).  However, it seemed a bit legalistic to me.  The authors were all about, "I did this...", "I do this..." in ways that came across like I must do it their way.  In one sense, I appreciated their insight into how to manage the house so it's always clean, etc., but it felt like a little too much. But it was helpful, overall, and I do use it as a reference guide for its recipes and Scripture references...especially as I work to develop my hospitality character traits!  ;)   ]

0 comments: