Friday, July 22, 2011

Formula for Happiness

Happiness.  It's what everyone desires, right?  We are always on a quest for it, as if it's to be found around the next corner, in the next purchase, in the move across the States, in the new relationship.  Unfortunately, the American dream will not bring true happiness.  In fact, nothing will bring true happiness apart from Christ himself.

Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me,
let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
For whoever would save his life will lose it,
but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
Matthew 16: 24-25

Denying ourselves is counter-cultural.  It goes against everything in our beings.  That's why it must be a supernatural work of the Holy Spirit who enables us, through Christ, to deny ourselves, take up our cross, and follow Christ (Matt. 16: 24).  The LORD has recently been using these verses in my life as I seek to find my happiness in Him, not in the things of this world:
1. Deny himself - Lay aside my wants & desires (those are many!)
2. Take up his cross - Bear the difficulties of today with His help; pursue Christ (not my own happiness)  
3. Follow him - Be obedient to God's Word & His will for my life

God promises that we will be perfectly satisfied if our hope & desires lie in Christ alone.  Lord, make that true in our lives!

0 comments: