Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day

As we enjoyed our Memorial Day, I spent time pondering and thanking God for all the men, women, children and spouses who have sacrificed lives, marriages, sanity, health, and much more in order to give us the freedoms we enjoy today.  
THANK YOU to our soldiers, veterans, and their families.
I was especially thankful to my favorite veteran, Grandpa Richie.
He was an artillery trainer in WWII stationed in WA.

This Memorial Day Weekend was filled with lots of work for my husband - preaching, pre-marriage counseling, pre-baptism counseling, VBS set-up, nursing home visits, and just his general Sunday duties.  I know it doesn't compare in the least to what our veterans have sacrificed, but I struggled with not having a true three-day weekend like I feel we should be entitled to (maybe I taught for too long and am so spoiled by a teacher's schedule).  It was easy for me to be jealous of those who were going camping, out of town to visit friends, etc.  There were also two commitments that we had as a family that I wasn't excited about and grumbled against.  HOWEVER, I saw the LORD's faithfulness so clearly in my life this weekend - He took my grumbling heart and changed it, opening my eyes to all of the many blessings that He's given me.  And I also felt rebuked as I reminded myself, once again, that this life is not my own - "I belong both body and soul to my Savior Jesus Christ" - it's not about vacationing (although breaks are necessary), but it's about glorifying and honoring Christ in all we do and think. I was encouraged by one of my favorite verses from Psalm 73:
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And there is nothing on earth that I desire
besides you.

Nothing on earth that I desire besides you...not a relaxing weekend, schedule free Memorial Day, etc.  Nothing.   I prayed that over and over this weekend!  And repented a lot.

So despite struggling with Brian's work schedule and our family commitments this weekend, it turned out to be a wonderful time for our family - the short moments we spent together were very sweet.  For example, last night after VBS set-up we jumped in the Jeep, drove to Clear Lake and ate supper in the park.  Then Aidan walked along the boardwalk and beach with Daddy while Leo & Mommy tagged behind with the camera.



I love this photo - in honor of Memorial Day with the flag in the background.

Of course, our trip to Clear Lake City Park wouldn't be complete without a stop at the slide.
 Aidan always heads, full speed, for the tallest slide.
"AWAY!" is his favorite word for Daddy if he's too close.
 Leo isn't too sure about having his Aidan so far away from him.
He waits and waits at the bottom of the slide.
Yay!  He made it!
"Again. Again.  I AGAIN!"
We let him go four times.
We also learned that we can't say to Aidan, "One more time," because he'll just stand at the top and never go down the slide.
Yay for family time!
Yay for a God who changes grumbling hearts!
Yay for veterans and soldiers!
Happy Memorial Day!

******
Prayer request, please:
I met a new friend, single-mom, at the park last week.  She came to church with me on Sunday and has now agreed to come to VBS this week with her girls.  Please be praying for the LORD to work mightily in her heart.

0 comments: