Thursday, June 2, 2011

Abiding

The last few months have left me discouraged.  Discouraged at the lack of holiness.  Discouraged at the lack of holy ambition.  Discouraged at the [apparent] satisfaction in the mundane and not in Christ.  Instead of wallowing in my discontent and discouragement, I went to God's Word for answers.  I long for joy and encouragement from Christ...not discouragement!

My devotional this morning was from John 15 and it fit my struggle perfectly.  How do we find joy in all circumstances?  By abiding in Christ.  Abiding in his love and in obedience.  Abiding is clinging to Christ.  Abiding is obeying Christ.

Because God loves us, He allows us to be pruned as a gardener (like me!) prunes his plants to keep them healthy and beautiful (although I haven't done any pruning - not sure how!).  The goal of pruning is to make a stronger plant.  As abiders in Christ, we must 'sit still' and let God cut away what needs to be cut in order to make us more holy and Christ-like. I can confidently cling to Him because He loves me and only does what is best for my life.

Abiding brings me in tune with God's will and conforms my desires to what He wills for my life.  But I must be obedient to His word: "If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love."  

This leads to encouragement as I sit, clinging to Christ and being obedient (not a complainer or full of discontent!) even though this pruning process may be, at times, painful.

But Jesus loves me, this I know.  And I am so thankful He does.

(Devotion from Lydia Brownback: Joy)

0 comments: