Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Books

I told Brian last night that books are like food - necessities.  Therefore, I can't help but putting them in my Amazon cart, especially when there's FREE super-saver shipping!  He lovingly rolled his eyes.

The ironic part?  I learned my intense love for books from him.  We've hauled hundreds of books up and down a million flights of stairs as we moved four times in our married life thus far...and most of those books?...were his.

But I'm catching up!  Here's what I'm reading now:
Dr. Horton was one of Brian's favorite profs at Wscal; this book he wrote for laypeople.  It truly has me standing in amazement each day of God's incredible gift of grace.  He sent His perfect Son to die so that I may have life - wow.  May that news never grow dull...and this book helps make sure it doesn't!  It is very liberating and humbling.  So so good.

"And be kind to one another," Ephesians 4:32.
I'll admit, I'm not the kindest person...in my heart!  I pray the LORD would use this book in my life to help me cultivate the virtue of kindness in my heart and mind, that it may overflow onto others...particularly my husband and son!

I'm memorizing Ephesians 4:20-24 in which Paul urges believers to put off the old self and put on the new self.  Bridges' book The Pursuit of Holiness is about putting off the old self and this book is the sequel, encouraging Christians to put on the new self.  It is so so good and requires me not to just read it, but to study and pray over the rich truths it holds from God's Word.

Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches
I read Rachel Jankovic's motherhood articles on the Desiring God website and was super encouraged by them.  (You can find them here.)  I'm on chapter 3 of her book and am not enjoying it as much; it's not as rich or encouraging as the articles...but I'm hoping it'll pick up.  I guess maybe I'm just not enjoying her personality that comes through in her writing - you know when you decide whether or not you'd be friends with the author?!  Well, we just don't have the same style...  But I do LOVE the articles so if you're a mommy or a grandma, read those!

And...since I don't have a quilting project going on at the moment...
In my down time (what's that!?), I've been reading the classic, An American Tragedy.  It's a murder story that is actually a metaphor for the American "dream."  The main character is a man who murders the low-class woman he's impregnated in order to pursue marriage to a rich, high-class woman.  It's very well written - truly a classic.  I'm enjoying it and am almost finished - which is a good thing because Mary ordered our next sewing project and it will be here soon.
 
Let me know if you're enjoying any books - I love recommendations!




2 comments:

Callie said...

Finish "American Tragedy" quickly so I can read it on my honeymoon!!! :)

JC said...

If you're into fiction, I really liked the 100 Cupboards Series by N.D. Wilson (Doug Wilson's son). Fun and interesting. We actually listened to the first one on Audible and then decided to buy the series. I find that I pay more attention when I have a physical book in my hand (or read it on my iPod). :)