Sunday, December 11, 2011

Leaving a Legacy: Grandpa Lund

On Friday, December 2, Grandpa Lund went to be with Jesus.  Even though we are sad and will miss him, we are truly able to rejoice because Grandpa trusted his life to Christ and lived a life of incredible faith.

We were so thankful that Brian was able to be in the hospital room, praying and reading Scripture with Grandpa as he passed from this earth into the heavenly realm.  Aidan and I were there an hour or so before he died, and I was just reminded of what an incredible man he was: he said he was, "Good," just two hours before he breathed his last - saying it through labored breaths and lungs full of fluid.

And that describes Grandpa - he never complained or responded with anything but joy.  He knew that his hope and comfort rested in Christ alone and believed in the sovereignty of God in all things - and lived that way.  In fact, in his darkest hour as he buried the love of his life in 1993, he sang so boldly, "My gracious Redeemer, my Saviour art Thou; If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, 'tis now," from the hymn My Jesus I Love Thee.  Wow.  I want to be like him.  

Just 9 months before we moved to Iowa, Grandpa suffered a stroke and went to a nursing home.  We were able to visit him a number of times during his two years there, and he was always so excited to see us.  He always had such wonderful things to say about the staff, the residents and things going on there.  Never once did he seem discontent or frustrated by the fact that he couldn't communicate well, had to have help bathing, and was, essentially, locked in that prison.  And then there was me: super discontent and struggling so much with this new small town life.  I have so much to learn from Grandpa.  And I want to be like him (and Paul!) - content in all circumstances!

Dr. R. A Lund lived out what he believed.  He was incredible.  He raised an incredible son who is just like him.  He has a grandson, my darling husband, who is also just like his dad and grandpa.  These men are amazing - they are so full of Christ and rest in what He has done for them, that there is no room in their lives for discontentment or frustration - not in circumstances, people, or anything.

I wish I had asked him more questions about his faith and how he had cultivated such a wonderful peace about life.  But I know the answers will be found in God's Word.  Grandpa loved God's Word - he knew it and lived it.  In fact, the morning he died, he was quoting Psalm 23 with John.  Wow.  Loved him.  Will miss him.  Was so proud of him.  And am so thankful I get to spend my life with his incredible grandson who takes after him in so many ways.  He would have been so proud of Brian at his funeral; Brian preached Psalm 37:23-24 and encouraged people to hope in the Lord because He establishes our steps and upholds us because we are united to Christ by faith.

You can read his obituary on Brian's blog here.

1 comments:

JC said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Grandpa Lund's passing. We are praying for your family and thankful he embraced Jesus his Savior. Sounds like he was a truly wonderful man who lived out his faith. What a blessing it is to have people like him in our lives!