Monday, January 9, 2012

Jelly Roll

Mary's Country Threads held a quilting class on Saturday.  My aunt, Kathy, and cousin, Missy, drove all the way from Minneapolis to take the Jelly Roll class with me!  It was so much fun!

You purchase a jelly roll of fabric (just thin strips of fabric rolled up into a "jelly roll"), sew them end to end, and then the length of it (1600 inches!) until you have 32 rows.  There is no cutting involved at the beginning so, since you don't cut of the edges of fabric with the labels on them, you are supposed to fold that back so it doesn't show...well, I was either talking or tuning out and missed that step!  So when I turned my fabric right-side-up, it said, "Made in Japan" on various pieces!  Needless to say, I had to cut out all those seams and re-sew them.  I told Missy to keep a better eye on me since she was sitting next to me.

We had supper together and then continued to sew until 10:30 that night.  I made them stay until we were finished so I could take a picture:
Our Jelly Roll Quilts!
It was so cool to be able to make a whole quilt in one day - this would be a great quilt to make if you are a beginner (like me!).
My quilt.
Missy's quilt.
Kathy's quilt.

Thanks, Kathy & Missy, for coming all the way to Garner!  And thanks, Mary, for teaching us!  We look forward to coming to camp this summer.

1 comments:

The left side of the road... said...

I'm sooooooooo jealous!! When we move back home I hope I can make a quilt with you guys!! Miss you & love you!
❤, Mol