Sunday, April 29, 2012

John & Journaling


Over the years, so many authors and mentors have suggested that I keep a journal - whether that be a prayer journal or just a journal of thoughts.  I always sorta rolled my eyes and thought, "Yeah - who has time for that?!?"

Well, Brian read the above John Adams biography recently and highly recommended it to me.  The author bases an incredible amount of his knowledge of John Adams on John's journal entries and letters to his wife, Abigail.  Now, not that I want people reading about me in a biography in 400 years but, as I read this biography, I have seen the importance of organizing your thoughts and being able to "get out" things that you would/should never say to another human being.  For example, we learn about how lazy Benjamin Franklin was!  John never would have said that aloud, but in his journal we find out just what he thought of Ben Franklin.

I share everything with my sweet, patient and wise husband.  But, as I've been reading various pastor's wives' blogs, I'm realizing that it's important to be an encourager to our husbands in their role as pastor.  Much to my dismay, lately, I have been a discourager.  I grow frustrated with church members, the tinyness of the town, etc., so instead of telling those to Brian, I have started an Iowa Journal in Microsoft Word.  It's been amazing how freeing it feels to "tell someone" - but I'm not having to speak poorly of anyone/anything!  I can get it off my chest, organize my thoughts, and find Scripture to encourage and/or put me in my place (bring me to repentance - which has been MOST helpful). 

Journaling has become a good thing for me.  If you've rolled your eyes at the suggestion of it, I'd encourage you to consider it.  I'd also encourage you to consider picking up this thick John Adams book at your local library; it won't disappoint.  There are many, many things that I am excited to blog about from his biography - what an amazingly brilliant man!

0 comments: