Friday, April 15, 2011

A Journey to Domesticity

SO many things in my life have changed in the last nine months.  If you know me even a little, you know that I don't like to cook, bake, sew, or craft...probably because I am not creative!  However, when Mary from church, who owns Country Threads, one of the top 10 quilt shops in the nation, asked me if I wanted to take a quilting class, I said, "Sure!"  (Not sure what got into me!)  We finished our first project, a Twister mini-quilt and guess what!?  Not only did I enjoy the fellowship with the church ladies and the yummy snacks they'd always bring, but I discovered that I LIKE to sew!  Just press the pedal down and away I go.  I'm not too concerned that my lines aren't always straight; Mary always says, "If you won't see it from a horse going 40 mph, then it's fine!"  I even decided to make a second quilt with the ladies.  It's called a RoundAbout and it will fit a twin size bed. [Note: If I finish it sometime in the next three years, I'll be pleased!  It's a HUGE project for me, Mrs. Can-Hardly-Sew!]
I purchased the RoundAbout kit.
It was so beautifully wrapped, I didn't want to undo it.
I love the bright, pinky colors and polka dots.
Mr. A and me before I left for the class!  He was looking forward to some quality time with his dad.
Mary, our wonderful & very patient teacher!  I didn't even know what a bobbin was; she's so great!
Karla & me gearing up to cut cut cut!  Last night we spent two hours cutting the squares for our quilt.  I didn't finish mine so I have homework to do!  Our next meeting is in May after the farmers get their fields planted.


0 comments: