Saturday, January 7, 2012

My Constant Battle

I heart Jerry Bridges like I heart the Tripp brothers.
Recently, I've been reading Bridges' The Practice of Godliness.  He encourages believers to put on the new self (Ephesians 4:20-24) - humility, contentment, thankfulness, joy, holiness, faithfulness, etc.  It is all so so good, but I especially enjoyed the contentment chapter.  "Contentment is one of the most distinguishing traits of a godly person" (pg 85).  I hate that it is still my constant struggle.  After devouring Lydia Brownback's Contentment and William Barcley's The Secret of Contentment, I thought I was fairly well educated in the contentment department.  But my heart still skips a beat and, if I'm not careful, tears well up in my eyes when I see SoCal friends write on Facebook, "It's 80 degrees in January - I'm so glad I live here!" or when I watch our besties drive away, not knowing when I will see them again.

Yes, I have a lot of growing to do in this area.  It's my constant battle.  And as my pastor-husband said on Sunday, we are in a battle in this world!  I'm thankful for Jerry Bridges' chapter on contentment because it has encouraged my sinful yet redeemed, teary heart.

Bridges has reminded me:
  • Contentment in our bibles is actually translated sufficiency (pg 85).  My grace is sufficient for you (II Cor 12:9).  Because of God's grace, I have ALL I need to be contentment - no matter my location, provisions, or possessions.  That is SUCH good news.
  •  Discontentment is destructive and very deadly.  It was discontent that led Eve to eat the apple in the Garden of Eden.  It was discontent that led to Satan's fall - he refused to accept his position in the hierarchy of angelic beings (pg 87).  Bridges writes, "Discontent is one of the most satanic of all sins, and to indulge in it is to rebel against God just as Satan did," (pg 87).
  • God places us where we will most please Him.  "Contentment lies...in being faithful to fulfill the function that God has called us to..." (pg 92).  The Potter has the right to do whatever He pleases with the clay (Romans 9)!   I am where I am and doing what I am because God, an all-wise and all-loving Father, has deemed it best for me, and He promises to work it for my good (Romans 8:28 and Jeremiah 29:11).  And I don't even deserve to be where I am (Ephesians 3:8)!  It is a gift.
  • The secret of contentment that Paul learned: "God's grace is sufficient, whatever the circumstance," (pg 98).  
  • The grace that is sufficient and enables me to be content is expressed in two ways: "God's unmerited favor to us through Christ and God's divine assistance to us through the Holy Spirit," (pgs 98-99).
    • How then should I live contentedly?  By realizing that no matter what my situation is, it is far better than I deserve because all I deserve is God's wrath (apart from Christ).  And that no matter how frustrating or difficult our situation may be, we have God's divine assistance through the Holy Spirit to help us be content and respond to life in a godly manner (pg 99).
Additional resources to help believers grow in the area of contentment:
Luke 12:15
Hebrews 13:5
I Timothy 6:6-8
Psalm 119:36-37

I'm going to spend some time praying over these verses before my little man wakes up.  May I find my contentment in Christ alone today in this wee-little town.

P.S. My brother and sister-in-law are definitely not struggling with discontentment...they are in HAWAII! ;)
Happy Honeymooning!
Andy and Callie's photographer also finished the wedding pictures:
The Ringbearer!
When we get the real photos (these are "stolen" off the Internet), we'll send out a New Year's card...or will it be Valentine's Day?



0 comments: