Monday, January 23, 2012

Peace

Whoa...I have been a terrible blogger for the last two weeks - sorry!
There are a number of reasons for my lack:
My husband dropped his computer on our garage floor and so he's been using mine when he's at home.
I've been feeling a little "blah" lately and have nothing to say!  :(
(Winter isn't my friend.)
My parents came to visit!
I was able to get away with a few Garner girlfriends up to the Cities for two days - very fun and refreshing!
After this little reprieve, I'm trying to get back on track.

I'm still reading through Jerry Bridges' The Practice of Godliness and was recently encouraged by his chapter on peace.  Peace is very similar to contentment, and it's so what I want!  I want to be at peace when I look outside and it's cloudy and cold for the umpteenth day.  I want to be at peace when I can't take my crazy, wild dog for a walk because it's too cold and he's driving me nuts in the house.  I want to be at peace when my toddler is getting into everything and we can't go outside to burn energy and get fresh air.  I want to be at peace when I miss seeing colleagues each day and teaching sixth graders.  I want to be at peace living this life God has called me to in Iowa.

So here's what Jerry has to say about peace:
  • Peace should be a part of a Christian's character because God has promised us His peace (pg 155).
  • God has commanded us to be at peace and, when we are, it is evidence of the Holy Spirit at work in our lives (pg 156).
  • Three parallel types of peace:
    • Peace with God
      • Peace with God is our justification (pg 156).
      • Romans 5:1, "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."
    • Personal Peace
      •  The author points us to two promises from Christ in John 16:33, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world."
        •  1. We will have trouble in this world.
        • 2. Jesus has overcome the world (pg 158).
      • So why do we worry?  Because we don't believe.  OR "if we believe that He can deliver us through our difficulties, we doubt if He will.  We let Satan sow seeds of doubt in our minds about His love and care for us," (pg 158).
        • How do we fight this temptation?  Philippians 4:6-7...we are to pray about everything!  And be thankful for the sovereignty of God in every aspect of our lives and how He is working all things for our good.  What is the final result?  Peace.
      • What can hinder this peace?
        • 1. Wrong motives - we may want deliverance from the trial instead of peace (pg 160).
        • Trying to get it on our own - remember, it is a fruit of the Holy Spirit!
      • "This is the bible's solution to a lack of peace within ourselves: Take our anxieties to God in thankful prayer, and resist the devil when he slanders God to us," (pg 161).
    • Peace with Men
      • "As far as it depends on you, live at peace with  everyone," (Romans 12:18).
      • He says many, many other good things about being at peace with all men.  Grab this book from the library!
  • Remember, we are dependent upon the Holy Spirit's work in our lives to produce the desire and the means to pursue peace.  We are responsible to cultivate peace in our lives - and we have all that we need because of what He has given us in Christ.
I'm off to cultivate peace in my heart and mind today! I pray you are too.  Thank you, Jesus, that you have given us all we need for godly living!

0 comments: