Friday, October 21, 2011

A Tribute

If you've hung out with me in the last seven years, then you've met her.
This is our dearest, most faithful Sebring, once nick-named Stella by Kgal.
 Today, as I was cleaning her out for the last time ever, I suddenly became sentimental.  Can I really part with her?  We've been besties for seven years now; we're inseparable - where I go, she takes me!

We've been 132,000 miles together:
  • Stella was a wedding gift to us from Brian's parents.  She was brand-new in 2004 and our first ride together was on our honeymoon up to the North Shore of Minnesota.
  • She safely took me to and from our apartment in St. Anthony to Liberty Classical Academy where I taught middle school science (mornings) and then to my downtown Minneapolis job each afternoon for two years.
  • She patiently followed that yellow Penske in August of 2006 to Escondido, California so that Brian could begin seminary at Wscal.
  • Daily we went to Heritage K-8 Charter School where I taught 6th grade for four years.
  • In the summer of 2007, she flawlessly tackled the Rockies again to get us home to MN for a six-week vacation. (Gotta love being a student and a teacher!)
  • In 2008-2009, she accompanied me to the University of San Diego twice a week so that I could obtain my Masters of Education in curriculum and teaching.
  • And we won't forget the hundreds of trips to the Pacific Ocean or all the others areas we explored in San Diego County and LA. (We both left our hearts in California - she and me - not Brian, unfortunately!)
  • She powerfully climbed those big hills on "The 15" to get us to church at Christ PCA, Temecula each Sunday.
  • In the first six months of 2010, Stella gracefully took me to each appointment with Dr. Chortkoff in Del Mar where we could hear our baby boy's heartbeat.
  • She waited in the parking lot of Sharp Mary Birch as we prayed and begged God to spare our son's precious life as he was in the NICU for a week in July 2010.
  • She rejoiced with us when we drove Aidan John Lund home on July 15, 2010.
  • She grieved with us as we waved goodbye to dear dear friends and a wonderful life in California.
  • She admitted - Iowa was a huge adjustment; she followed those super slow cars on these two-lane highways way more patiently than her driver.  She did whisper that she loves going back to the big city and stopping so that I may get a Starbucks, Chipotle and a few fun things at MOA.
 Leo and Mama's last picture with Stella.

We are thankful to the LORD for the ways He kept us safe in her those 132,000 miles.  In seven years, here's what I remember going wrong:
1. Battery died (once)
2. Fender-bender on East Valley Parkway (no biggie - she stopped so perfectly!)
3. Coronado Island, CA 2008 fiasco (remember, Chings and Brittons!?) - again, not her fault!
4. Snowy ditch 2010 - screaming child, pulled over too far, got stuck.  Yay for AAA!

Pretty great track record, eh?  Yes, I will miss her.  She rocked.

But we are pleased to introduce:
 Mr. Jeep
 Thanks, Grandpa Fretty, for finding us the perfect car!
Low miles. Older so the price was right.  Extremely clean.  Lots of space.
Our little man was there too - and he's excited about our purchase too because he squealed all the way to Grammie and Grandpa's - but he didn't want to be in the picture with us.  Running between cars is way more fun.

0 comments: