Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Conference Details

The Revive '11 conference was fantastic!  Sue and I spent 10 hours in the car, 26 hours at the conference, and another 10 hours in the car.  We were encouraged and given so many ideas that we didn't ever run out of things to talk about!  Filling our bags were five possible women's bible studies that we can't wait to get our hands on and pray about starting at Zion.

Speakers Nancy Leigh DeMoss, Susan Hunt, and Crawford Loritts were my favorites.  

Nancy warned us of nine  potential pitfalls of ministry.  We were to circle a few pitfalls, in particular, that could trip us up.  One I circled was: serving without love.  To effectively minister, we need to love as Christ loved us, "...who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant," (Philippians 2:6-7).  I pray the LORD would work in my heart so that I may truly love our church members as Christ has loved me. I also circled the pitfall of losing perspective.  It's all too easy to forget how big God is as the problems mount and mount and the discouragement seems suffocating.  But the church is Christ's...it's His bride, not mine.  I am not the one who can change hearts; only the Holy Spirit can stir up affections for Christ in the hearts of pew warmers.  And like a piano can't play beautiful music on it's own, I need Christ working through me in order to do anything "beautiful" for His Kingdom.

Crawford Loritts wrote the book Leadership as an Identity.   He writes that leaders have four characteristics. Two of those traits that I found interesting were brokenness and radical, immediate obedience.  Crawford defined brokenness as a "permanent awareness of God-needyness."  As we've seen in the bible, God didn't use perfect people!  Two pillars of brokenness are "proactive surrender" and "an acute awareness of our sinfulness."
Crawford also said, "You don't have to be successful, but you do have to be obedient."  He also referred to ministry not as a job, but as an assignment.  My assignment now is Garner.  How will I choose to fulfill the assignment He's given me?  May I be able to say with Crawford, "I'd rather die than disobey God,"  and I'd like to take it further by saying, "I'd rather die than disobey God by living a joyless, discontented life in the circumstances that He's ordained for me."

Susan Hunt spoke on a book she's written, Spiritual Mothering.  A Titus 2 ministry is a dream I have for Zion!  If you haven't read her book, I'd recommend it.

One other treat was the Pastor's Wives breakout session.  What I enjoyed most was the panel of pastor's wives who'd been in the ministry for no less than 30 years.  We were able to ask them questions and it was so interesting.  There are a lot of hurting pastor's wives out there and a lot of frustrated ministries.  I need to be praying for them!

Besides the Peppermint Mocha and Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks, the last treat was seeing my hometown friend, Miriam.  Her husband just planted a church near my parent's home.  She is such a godly woman - so full of wisdom amidst the trying times that planting a church brings.  It was very fun to chat with her for a short time.

My sweet hubby gave me some of his pastor appreciation money to spend at the conference!  So I came home with two bags of books and haven't wanted to do anything besides read.  I'll tell you about Choosing Gratitude by Nancy Leigh DeMoss later this week.

They are hosting a conference in Indianapolis next September that is for all women, not just leaders.  This is the link if you're interested: True Woman '12

P.S. Aidan and Daddy had so much fun while I was gone!  Aidan didn't even miss me.  I am so thankful for the quality time they got to spend together and for what an amazing dad Brian is.  Aidan loves him so much; he'll hardly come near me when Daddy is home.  On Thursday Leo comes back from Grandma & Grandpa's house.  He's having so much fun there, but I miss him!

2 comments:

JC said...

Sounds amazing. I can't wait to read some of the books you recommended. Thanks for the update.

Brian Cochran said...

Sounds like it was a great conference. Thanks for sharing what God is doing in your life. . . very encouraging. We'll continue to pray for you, your family and your church.