Monday, May 14, 2012

Garden #2

With the weather so beautiful, I couldn't resist the desire to plant my garden this morning.
Aidan and I lathered up in sunscreen and headed outside.
 
  
The only thing missing was Grandpa Richie - I thought about him a lot this morning as I planted.
Mostly because my dear grandpa is a perfectionist.
And he would've died seeing how imperfect my garden went in this year.
Why is it so imperfect?
Because of this little helper.


He was constantly on the move.


At first he stayed in his own "garden".

 

I could keep an eye on him from my garden.


I also had to keep an eye on Nuisance.
He only appears innocent here - he's playing with this frisbee after getting a spanking for eating my gardening gloves.


[Aidan picked out this pink frisbee for Leo.  He also tried to pick out pink tennis balls.  Brian says he hangs around me too much.  I heart pink!]


 It didn't take long for Aidan to become bored in his "garden".
"Yes, Aidan, you may help Mommy put seeds in the ground."
"I dump."
"Yes, you may dump them..."
(Thinking: "Hmm....not in that spot!")



 "I help."


 I really did enjoy Aidan's help.
It was fun talking to him about the seeds and showing him the pictures of the veggies that they will soon grow into.
After I explained it all, he replied,
"I EAT!"

 

 I'm very glad my mother-in-law gave me another digger for Easter - Aidan didn't want to share.


Soooo helpful!


 When Aidan started asking for "fissssh", I knew it was snacktime.


 Aidan even made sure Leo ate his snack.
 

 Dirty face!
 

 

I adore these chubby legs. 
[He didn't want to wear his new sandals today.]

As I planted, it was fun to reminisce about the past year.  I thought back to how I knew next to nothing about gardening and about all the wonderful church ladies who offered me advice.  I remembered the different things that I wanted to plant and how I was going to reorganize the garden this year.   I kept thinking of Grandpa Richie and how perfect his garden is going to look...unless we head up to Brainerd on planting day and give him some "help"!  I continuously thanked God for my "helper" - he has grown and learned so much in the past year.

I also reflected on how faithful the LORD has been - He has kept us and continued to sanctify us through another year.  He is so good.  And I praised Him for the creation of grocery stores; I can't imagine having to rely on just my garden for food!  Yikes.

And I couldn't help but notice how different planting was this year from last when Aidan just watched from his walker and Leo wasn't born yet.  (Last year's post: Seeds are In!)
Last year, my extra seeds were neatly tucked into a plastic bag:

This year:

 The seed packets I chased down were ripped to shreds.
And they were empty because my helper planted dumped all the seeds.


And my glove lost a finger.

I even think I planted one row twice - with two different vegetables.

But it was fun!  And I'm thankful for my boy and my puppy.
Now I need the LORD to use His rain and sun to bring my crops to fruition!

1 comments:

The Larson Family said...

Love it!!! So fun to see what you guys are up to. I am going to get my garden in this week....Can't wait for fresh veggies!!