Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lost in the Middle

When a friend told me about the book Lost in the Middle - Midlife and the Grace of God by my very favorite Paul David Tripp, I knew I had to order it (I recently figured out how to use my Discover card rewards points to make Amazon purchases and now have even less self-control when it comes to book buying).  My intention is to give it to someone in mid-life, such as my parents, (and I still will), but I skimmed the table of contents and was instantly hooked.  And, who knows, I could be in mid-life now!?  It can start at 20, Tripp says.  But regardless of age or stage in life, Lost in the Middle is an excellent book about staying focused on Christ alone amidst any change in your life (and life is constantly changing!).

There are so many wonderful truths in this book, but I found his discussion on our culture today of particular interest.   Tripp states three reasons that we are so discouraged by the natural process of aging (the process that sneaks up on us - "wrinkles, rashes, spider veins, graying hair, loss of hair, hair where it shouldn't be, muscle loss and softening, weight gain, loss of flexibility, loss of energy, chronic aches and pains, vision loss, sagging skin, skin discoloration, tiredness, hearing loss, stiffness of joints, and the list goes on," (pg 77)) and one of them is because of what our culture focuses on and deems most important.  We live in a material world where people are obsessed with the human body.  Twelve years ago there were more than 8 million cosmetic surgeries and that number doesn't include Botox injections, laser hair removal, collagen injections, or chemical peels (pg 83).  America's goal is to stay "Youthful Forever".  If only aging was optional.

Tripp proceeds to detail some of the elements of Western Civilization.  He begins by contrasting our culture with the culture 200 years ago.  Now it's our youth who are esteemed - the unwise, undisciplined teens and twenties of today.  Why did George Washington and friends wear white, curly wigs?  To appear older.  Two centuries ago, it was the older people who were esteemed for the wisdom and discipline that came from life's experiences.  Our culture's view on aging stands in stark contrast to the Bible's view of aging as a blessing (Is. 46:4 & Lev. 19:32); even though we know this to be true, we have all, unfortunately, been indoctrinated by our culture's view - yes, we have purchased anti-wrinkle cream or bought into the latest diet craze.  

In addition, the last 200 years have shifted our culture's attitude of work.  We no longer view work as the way we image and worship God; no, we work (under someone else) to be freed to do as we please on the weekends.  We value leisure.  And because we so highly value leisure, the entertainment industry dominates our culture.  We focus on pleasure - entertain me.  So when we are faced with the aches and hardships of midlife, our world is turned upside down.  "A self-absorbed, pleasure-obsessed culture will be intolerant of all the painful, discomforting, and embarrassing physical changes at midlife," (pg 87).  Yes, a leisure driven culture curses aging.

Lastly, Tripp suggests that our culture has put to death eternity; the focus is on our bodies and bettering our lives on earth (gotta love Joel Osteen's Your Best Life Now - gag me) and not on readying our hears and minds for eternity.  As believers in Christ, we should, instead, live for that which is unseen (II Corinthians 4:18) because we know this world is wasting away.  It's only when you cherish the unseen, that you can rightly view aging as a process of "redemption, renewal, growth, change, and restoration," (pg 89).  I love what Paul says in II Corinthians 4:16:
...outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
Believe in Christ - believe in eternity - believe in the afterlife and then you won't be discouraged by the first part of the verse; you will be encouraged by the second part.

Brian asked me why I was reading this book, but it's been so good.  I pray that I wear 30 gracefully; I pray that I wear these sunspots and eye wrinkles proudly, knowing that "inwardly I am being renewed day by day".  And I'm praising Jesus that He guides us through every stage of life, never leaves nor forsakes us, and will give His believers glorious new bodies - sunspot and wrinkle free - on that great Day.

I have to add a favorite quote from this book since my 30th birthday is less that two months away:
After 30, the body has a mind of its own.
-Bette Midler
Yikes! But I'm trusting in Christ for aging grace!

0 comments: