Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Godly Discipline

Dr. Tedd Tripp.  I heart him - mustache and all.  I'm currently reading his Shepherding a Child's Heart for the fourth time, but this time is different - I'm reading it as a mom and not a teacher.  

The premise of Tripp's book is Luke 6:45:
"...out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks."
The goal of parenting isn't primarily about changing outward behavior; the goal of parenting is training the heart of your child.   As parents we are given authority, by GOD, over our children to empower them to become self-controlled people who live freely under the LORD'S authority.  This is done not through harsh discipline or "ungodly child abuse" but by laying down our lives - authorities who are truly kind and who parent as we are called to by God in His Word.  And, fortunately, children usually don't resist authority that is selfless and kind.

One thing that struck me today as I was reading Tripp's book was "ungodly child abuse" - that term is new to me and I am so surprised at how often I see "ungodly child abuse" occur - even amongst believers!  And I know I am guilty of it - from babysitting or in my classroom - because it stems from anger.  What is it?  It's correcting our children out of irritation or as a way to vent our frustration.  For example:
I am fed up with you.  You are making me mad.  I am going to hit you, or yell at you, or make you sit on a chair in isolation from the family until you figure out what you did wrong," (page 38).
That is punishment.  Discipline is done in love (Proverbs 3:12, 24).  This sort of "ungodly child abuse" doesn't produce righteousness and peace - it produces sullen, angry, resentful children. 

I pray that the LORD would spare me from "ungodly child abuse" in the future. I pray that my discipline of Aidan would stem from the principles and absolutes of God's Word - and nothing else! - not my frustration, anger, irritation, exhaustion, etc.  The goals of my parenting should be character development and glorifying God; I pray that those would be the only fuel for my discipline.

0 comments: